Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Big time parenting mess up

Topic is Sleeping.

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 12:59 AM on Saturday, October 22nd, 2022

Last week my 3 elementary kids went to a cross country meet. I was so happy they made the team and were getting to compete.

DS came home with a limp. He said he tripped, rolled his ankle and fell, then got up and tried to continue only to roll his other ankle. He walked with another kid to the end and ran the last bit to the finish line. He said his foot was sore but didn't cry or appear in serious pain and seemed fine the rest of last week. He would say he was sore after getting home from school but was fine at home.

This week much of the same. Fine in the morning before school but sore when he got home. Then yesterday a kid shoved him into a shelving unit. He hit his foot and got a nasty bruise on the right side of his ribs. Also the middle toe on his sore foot was purple. He was really limping. I told him I'd take him to urgent care today. Well This morning he could barely walk so I took him to the ER.

Doc sent him for x rays and it turns out this kid has a broken heel. They didn't cast it (is that nornal for a heel break???). Just gave him crutches to use for 2 weeks to stay off his foot completely. He is to see our family doctor within the two weeks to be assessed and we were told 6 weeks until it's fully healed. He said only give him Advil for pain.

How the heck has he been walking on a broken foot for a full week??????? Doc showed us the x rays and the bone is totally broken.

Now I feel absolutely horrible that I didn't drag him to the hospital when he came home from the cross country meet.

I thought at most he maybe it was a bad sprain but not a break. No bruising, no swelling (his toe is purple and now really swollen and funny enough the x ray we saw didn't show that middle tow but I wouldn't be surprised if it is broken too).

I let the school know so that they can arrange for him to use the elevator to get to class. DS is bummed out because he won't be able to manage Halloween on crutches.

I just can't win. Take the kids to the hospital and it turns out to be not that bad and get an eye roll from the doctor. Don't take the kids right away and it turns out to be something and still get an eye roll.

This sucks!

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25824   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8761627

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:10 AM on Saturday, October 22nd, 2022

Eh don't beat yourself up.
If you took him the day of it my not have shown up. Freshly broken bones are tough to see unless there is significant displacement. A week old though they light up like a Christmas tree. Thats because of the deposits of new bone.

See if your local drugstore or medical supply place has a kneeled scooter to rent. Crutches are torture devices that cause shoulder issues, wrist issues and are generally awful. Kneeler scooters are fun and may make Halloween a blast.

Make sure he gets some extra vitamin D with calcium for the next few weeks. It promotes bone healing.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8761630

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 1:35 AM on Saturday, October 22nd, 2022

Thanks Tush! I've seen those scooters.

Ds really struggled for the first bit with the crutches but the nurse walked him through how to use them.

He needs to just hop to get into the house since we have stairs. Thankfully everything is on the main floor.

I'm still shocked they didn't cast his foot. Wh is seeing our family doctor tomorrow and im driving him so I'll make ds an appointment while there.

Also great advice re: vit D and calcium. We have that on hand here because of dd.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

id 8761635

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 1:25 AM on Sunday, October 23rd, 2022

Ok I searched for a calcium supplement for kids and disnt find anything. I have vit.d but it doesn't have calcium in it and neither did any of the other vit d supplements. Is a glass if milk a day good? His pediatrician actually said no more than one glass a day but seeing as he needs it I think more is fine. Any other good sources for kids?

Went with wh to the city for his appointment. I didnt go to the office with him. Wh asked the family doc about ds and he had already seen the ER report. Doc said absolutely no pressure on the foot and no cast is fine for where it's broken. Doc will see ds in two weeks.

Wh has a tear in his shoulder that for now doesn't require surgery.

This broken foot has given ds an excuse to sit and play video games all day. Figures lol

id 8761741

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 8:08 PM on Sunday, October 23rd, 2022

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but…

It is my understanding that calcium makes big bones, generally speaking, and that magnesium plays a bigger part in making strong bones.

Of course, do your own research on that, but if you come to the same conclusion, I thought that might help you in determining what foods/supplements to take regarding his broken foot.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8761793

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 2:55 AM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

I'm going to call around to all of the pharmacies and see if they have the Jamieson calcium plus vit d3 gummies.

Ds really struggles to get around. He actually started going around on his knees which isn't good. I haven't seen anywhere close that carries the knee scooters but ill keep looking.

id 8761833

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 5:58 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

The easiest and cheapest source of good calcium is Tums. Yup Tums. Chew a couple and then take the vitamin D.
Done and done.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8761910

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 6:26 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

Dragn, so sorry this happened to your boy! Call a medical supply store about renting a knee scooter. It would be invaluable to him. Crutches scare me as I've known people to fall, trying to use them.

I have a short story about my Mom and a fall she took. We got her up and she said she was okay -- but as the days went by, she complained that her hip was hurting. I finally got her to agree to go get an x-ray and the doctor and z-ray tech could NOT believe their eyes as her hip was broken at the Ball joint! And she had been walking (limping) around on it! She had hip replacement surgery the next day! So some people have a higher pain tolerance than others.

edited because I said KNEE replacement when I meant HIP replacement

[This message edited by Jeaniegirl at 10:04 PM, Monday, October 24th]

"Because I deserve better"

id 8761918

TX1995 ( member #58175) posted at 6:40 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

Do NOT feel bad. This is par for the course with kids.

My son was kicked in the ankle in a soccer game once. He screamed like he had been mortally wounded and went down. His dad had to carry him off the field. We took him home and he kept telling us it was broken. His dad, who played tennis, was like "no, it's just a sprain, we'll wrap and elevate". And we didn't take him to the ER. This was Saturday. On Monday, I took him to his primary doctor, who sent us to get an X-ray. Oh, not only was it broken but it was broken on both sides. Poor kid ended up in a wheelchair for 6 weeks and a cast even longer. shocked

Since then, I tend to over-correct. Took my daughter to a Children's ER on a Saturday because she was in so much stomach pain that she couldn't stand up and the nurse said it might be appendicitis. They admitted her, took X-rays...it was gas. Lots of gas. $5000 in bills for gas.

Lesson here is that you truly never know! duh Glad he's on the mend now and hope he heals quickly!

I'm the BS. WH had an EA/PA with a cOW. DDay was 4/17. Working on R. Married 15 years and together 20 at DDay.
DDay #2 and #3 6/19. Grew a conscience and admitted a full blown physical affair.
Current and forever status is reconciling. I don't

posts: 1026   ·   registered: Apr. 6th, 2017   ·   location: Texas
id 8761920

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 9:22 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

Wim very thankful for our medical system even with its glass up here. We spend so much time at the hospital or urgent care lol

DS stayed at school despite me telling him if the pain got to him he could come home. So tomorrow I'm sending him with extra Tylenol to tske at lunch. Kids were mean saying he is faking it because it isn't in a cast...

I'm seriously sick of these kids picking on him.

Tums! Awesome!!! That's easy enough to get.

id 8761943

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 2:46 PM on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022

Ds fell asleep in the living room as we all watched a movie after dinner. I woke him to give him his pain med then sent him to bed. He didn't resist at all.

This morning he still looked like he'd been hit by a bus and was complaining that his other foot was sore from taking all his weight. Tylenol didn't help with any of his pain so I sent him back to bed. He's laying there with his broken foot propped up on pillows.

He just looks wiped out.

id 8762024
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy