Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Rheumatoid Arthritis

Topic is Sleeping.

hurtbs (original poster member #10866) posted at 4:19 PM on Friday, September 30th, 2022

I had covid a couple of months ago and thought that it caused a gout flare. I've never had gout but have some genetic predisposition (it's why I have kidney stones). After not being able to get it under control, Rheumatologist I saw took me off of all meds for two weeks and ran a slew of blood panels. I just got the results (I see doctor next week) and it looks like I actually have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've never had RA before and I'm otherwise quite healthy. The pain is quite bad and it's in my big toe (hence why everyone initially thought it was gout). It does look like there is a correlative relationship between Covid-19 infection and developing RA (but no causative relationship yet established). So... great.

As I wait to see my doctor for the follow up, I'm curious about others and your experience with RA. Treatmeents? Side Effects? The worst part for me is before this, I was very active. I exercise regularly, and focus on weight training. Since it's my foot, exercise has been difficult. I can't take long walks and weight training while on my feet is not always feasible (so no squats, dead lifts, etc.). Are treatments effective and can I get back to my usual routine?

Me - 40 something. WXH DDay 2006, Divorced 2012
WBF DDay #1 9/2022 #2 11/2022
Single

posts: 15762   ·   registered: Jun. 1st, 2006   ·   location: So Cal
id 8757732

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 4:57 PM on Friday, September 30th, 2022

Raises hand have what is technically referred to as "Seronegative autoimmune inflammatory polyarthritis".
I have talked about this at length in other posts so to spare everyone from all that I will say this.

Yes numbers of folks w/ autoimmune issues after Covid OR any Virus is very common. The science behind it is this; Your immune system responds to kill the virus, and rid your body of it, but it doesn't turn off. So it starts to pick on whatever system is susceptible, you may also have some gout (which is also autoimmune) or had it but it was under control until now. Everything from RA, PA, Colitis, Crohns, even type one diabetes is being associated with autoimmune, viral response.

Things you can try to help yourself until you are seen by Rheum are:
1. Clean up diet, get rid of gluten, and nightshades. Read up on anti-inflammatory diets
2. See an eye dr and full eye exam (this is important in starting one of the low risk high benefit medications (hydroxycloraquine/plaquenil)
3. Use anti-inflammatory gel on your toe twice daily to see if it calms down. I have a great toe that flares and it hurts to even look at it. The Diclofenac gel helps but not immediately it's cummulative so usually by day 2, the fourth time putting it on I start to feel relief.
4. Study up on what RA is, and get a good understanding of how it can effect you and other body systems to be able to ask all the right questions when you see your Rheum again.

Be your own advocate. If meds aren't working let them know.
Reduce stress..... right I know. It seems silly to say but it absolutely impactful to inflammation. If you aren't sleeping and getting solid rest, talk to the Dr about it, and if not consider meds. quality sleep is essential in keeping this shit under control. Ask me how I know. grin

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8757759

hurtbs (original poster member #10866) posted at 4:31 PM on Saturday, October 1st, 2022

Thanks tushnurse. I meet with the doctor on Tuesday and will be sure to be my own advocate. Right now, all blood work looks good except the following:

* Positive occult blood in urine (which was less cool than it sounds).
* High Rehuamtoid Factor
* High CH50

Everything else is well within the ranges of normal, I'm a healthy weight, exercise regularly, have low blood pressure, etc. They took 9 vials of blood and seemed to test me for everything. Obviously, I'm not a medical professional and I need to wait for the doctor for a formal diagnosis. I know this could be indicative of something else as well (like kidney issues, cancer, etc.) but symptoms plus results seem to lean towards RA...

I'll prep for my doctor appointment and be prepared to be my own advocate.

I woke up last night in a lot of pain so I'm trying to move the joint periodically while taking meds. Doctor told me that if I was still in pain after blood tests (she had me stop all meds for two weeks), that I could go back on prednisone so I took one this morning. I hate prednisone but I can barely walk this am. I figured taking prednisone, Ibuprofen, and RICE could get me back on my feet this evening or at least tomorrow.

Me - 40 something. WXH DDay 2006, Divorced 2012
WBF DDay #1 9/2022 #2 11/2022
Single

posts: 15762   ·   registered: Jun. 1st, 2006   ·   location: So Cal
id 8757873

ZenMumWalking ( Guide #25341) posted at 5:14 PM on Saturday, October 1st, 2022

((((hurtbs))))

Sending lots of mojo your way and positive, healing thoughts.

((((hurtbs))))

Me (BS), Him (WH): late-50's
3 DS: 26, 25, 22
M: 30+ (19 1/2 at Dday)
Dday: Dec 2008
Wanted R, not gonna happen (in permanent S)
Used to be DeadMumWalking, doing better now

posts: 8533   ·   registered: Aug. 28th, 2009   ·   location: EU
id 8757876

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 10:42 PM on Sunday, October 2nd, 2022

Ask about a steroid injection in the joint of concern.
I far prefer that than oral steroids. Less side effects and directly into the problem

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8757982
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy