Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

New Beginnings :
So this is depression....

Topic is Sleeping.

UneedToSmile (original poster member #72111) posted at 3:46 AM on Sunday, May 24th, 2020

New Beginnings....it sounds so positive. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I feel anxious constantly. I can not relax my muscles. I don't want him back, but I'm so very unsettled. I have never been a depressed person, but I am fully convinced that is exactly what I am now.

I now understand my own sister's struggles that pushed her to complete suicide. I will never do that; I couldn't do that to my kids or parents. But wow, who knew this place was so dark? I talk to friends, and it takes the edge off some times. I pray constantly, and get minimal relief. A lot of people tell me they're happy to see me doing so well. I'm just not.

I'm going to keep reading the stories that are positive here on this thread. Thank you for posting them to show me that it can be reality for me some day. I'm going to try to believe I'm going to come out of this soon. Yes, I am taking meds, and yes I am talking to a counselor. I truly am happy for all of you that made it through to the other side. Thanks for listening!

Me: BS 42 years old
Him: Lying cheating narcissistic prick 43 years old
Married for 18 yrs, together for 20 total
Dday: August 19 2019
Divorced: June 12 2020

posts: 196   ·   registered: Nov. 18th, 2019   ·   location: USA
id 8545297

ibonnie ( member #62673) posted at 4:57 AM on Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Have you considered antidepressants? A small dose of sertraline (generic zoloft) made a huge difference in my depression and ability to function in the months following d-day.

"I will survive, hey, hey!"

id 8545309

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 5:02 AM on Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Some days are hard. The roller coaster does not end immediately- our bodies are not convinced they don’t still need to be in fight-or-flight mode, they are still on high alert.

Are you in IC? Helps me a TON.

Have you thought about anti-anxiety or anti-depression meds? I took anti-Anxiety for about a year— didn’t need them too long. They dampened the darkest moments and kept me more level until I was strong enough to get through on my own.

There is no shame in getting help— talk to your doctor, seek IC. (I do online, but you’ll find what works best for you).

EXERCISE to get those good chemicals in your body going— the long days we have now make it so nice to get a long walk in every day. Make sure you are sleeping. Journal, dance, bubble baths, play with your dog.. keep doing the things. Some find a gratitude journal very helpful, or finding one beautiful thing each day, like a sunset or a perfect rose in the garden.

Most of all, be kind and realize your body is coming off of a huge trauma. It takes time. Way more than you want, but you will feel better. Promise. And if you really feel bleak, GET HELP.

(((UneedToSmile)))

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8545310

AbandonedGuy ( member #66456) posted at 5:11 AM on Sunday, May 24th, 2020

I second EXERCISE. It was by far the greatest thing that helped which was completely within my control. The physiological benefits are amazing. You grab some form of control back over your life. You lose weight and feel good about yourself. It gives you an excuse to buy new clothes and improve your image. It fills your day with a distraction. It's really the best distraction that there is. Since at this point you essentially have to wait out your brain's unwanted chemical reactions, distractions play a major role in getting you through Reconstruction (the more important R word IMO).

At some point, you're going to need to leave the nest. People you love will stop listening quite so much. I never did IC but I imagine even there you get to a point where you find some kind of stasis and only incremental improvements to your mental health. Eventually, your brain will stop pumping bad vibes into itself and you'll snap out of it. My best advice to anyone who's still in the dark times is to start implementing productive routines now. Everything you want to be. Everything you want to do. Set those goals and start structuring your days in a way that moves you closer and closer to them. Then the day you wake up and feel better about your life, you'll have already done all the heavy lifting. You'll wake up to a comfy set-and-forget mode where you're crushing it and finally feeling good about that.

EmancipatedFella, formerly AbandonedGuy

id 8545315

Chrysalis123 ( member #27148) posted at 1:36 PM on Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Please go visit your doctor and explain what is happening. There is help.

In my case, my doctor explained to me how the constant stress of the affair and divorce was putting my body in danger. I began a course of antidepressants and wow it really helped.

My world went from black and white to be able to see in colors again.

I looked at it like needing a cast after breaking a bone. I needed short-term support for a long term solution.

I also went to see a counselor which helped me regain my balance.

Someone I once loved gave me/ a box full of darkness/ It took me years to understand/ That this, too, was a gift. - Mary Oliver

Just for the record darling, not all positive changes feel positive in the beginning -S C Lourie

id 8545362

Justsomeguy ( member #65583) posted at 1:19 AM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

I am going to second or third the antidepressant suggestion. She I was in my darkest, I would describe the sadness as a physical thing that I could reach out and touch. It had density and mass. I'm 2 1/2 years out, and I'm pretty sad most of the time, but I manage to get through the day. The night are a little tougher though, when i don't have my kids. It if I were to graph my progress, there is a trend upward.

There is no magic pill, other than ativan, but that's not sustainable. It takes time and a shit load of introspection. I'm pretty much resolved to never know joy again, but that's okay. I am aiming for peace and contentment. Please be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to grieve. It is a natural process, but it is not linear, I can tell you that.

I'm an oulier in my positions.

Me:55 STBXWW:55 DD#1: false confession of EA Dec. 2016. False R for a year.DD#2: confessed to year long PA Dec. 2 2017 (was about to be outed)Called it off and filed. Denied having an affair in court papers.

Divorced 20

posts: 1849   ·   registered: Jul. 25th, 2018   ·   location: Canada
id 8545495

UneedToSmile (original poster member #72111) posted at 3:17 AM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

Hey everyone. I'm doing all of those things. I am taking Lexapro....hasn't made a dent yet. I am talking to a counselor (we're working on empowerment). I do probably 3 walks and bike rides (each) a day.

I watched "Extraction" on Netflix today and something that one of the characters said REALLY resonated with me. He said, "You drown, not by falling in the river, but by staying submerged in it." Wow....yep. Now if only I could get these bricks out of my pockets and anchors off my ankles.

id 8545518

LadyG ( member #74337) posted at 4:36 AM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

All I can say is take the meds during this time as suicidal thoughts can creep in. The meds should control them and your mood.

You have a lot of good to look forward to but at times of depression the good things seem far away and unattainable.

I went through a stage when I thought that I had to leave this lifetime to end my pain and suffering but I prayed and mediated and realised that I can heal my pain here and now and my suffering will ease and hopefully end 🙏🏼

September 26 1987 I married a monster. Slowly healing from Complex PTSD. I Need Peace. Fiat Lux. Buddha’s Love Saves Me 🙏🏼

posts: 953   ·   registered: Apr. 29th, 2020   ·   location: Australia
id 8545534

Braveyogi ( member #51596) posted at 6:09 PM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

hi UneedToSmile - just wanted to say you've been heard and it sounds like you're doing so much to take care of yourself and yet you are struggling with depression symptoms. Remember that you are still in the midst of this traumatic situation, bathed in grief, loss, uncertainty. DDay last summer ago, divorce not final. Add to it the pandemic and what a cluster f*ck you are in. It makes a lot of sense that you'd be feeling down. Even your user name has a sense of needing to be other than what you actually feel - "U Need to smile." Consider this - can you make space inside yourself for the depression? for the grief, loss, and give yourself some kindness for this wounded part of you who is working so so hard to feel better, yet feels so hurt and devastated. Making space for it, befriending this down part of you, making space for this part of you to speak/share the feelings, while still continuing all the healing actions you are taking can be life changing. Rather than trying to get rid of these feelings - which usually doesn't work anyway - can you listen to what this part of you has to say?

sending you hugs as you move through this time.

Me: BW
Him: XWH
Married 19 years, together 22 years
2 kids, 8 and 15
DDay #1 May 2010, OC born 2011
DDay #2 March 2016; moved 1500 miles away with OW#2 and her kids for a job.
Divorced May 2017
Not my circus, not my mon

id 8545639

UneedToSmile (original poster member #72111) posted at 6:33 PM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

I like that suggestion Braveyogi. I'd never really thought about compartmentalizing the sadness. It feels like it has smothered every part of me. If I look at it that way, maybe I'll be more gentle with myself. I hate feeling this way especially because I can't be that same fun person that I always have been for my kids. I hate that they see me in bed crying and barely trying. I was doing well for awhile, but I plunged back down. I'm going to try to tell that part of me that it's okay to feel it. It's just so foreign to who I am, and it scares me. Lady G, you bring up a very interesting point. In a way, I am lucky to have seen what suicide does to your family. That is one thing I know I could NEVER do because of my experience. But boy, do I ever understand that blackness now.

The sun will be out on Wednesday....I'm counting down the hours. It has been way too long without sunshine, and it's definitely not helping. Thank you all for caring.

id 8545651

Chrysalis123 ( member #27148) posted at 6:37 PM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

Uneedtosmile, you are amazing!! (((((hugs)))))

Someone I once loved gave me/ a box full of darkness/ It took me years to understand/ That this, too, was a gift. - Mary Oliver

Just for the record darling, not all positive changes feel positive in the beginning -S C Lourie

id 8545654

UneedToSmile (original poster member #72111) posted at 9:04 PM on Monday, May 25th, 2020

Thank you Chrysalis123😊 you made my day!

id 8545699

ThisIsSoLonely ( Guide #64418) posted at 4:40 PM on Wednesday, May 27th, 2020

I did stupid things that a lot of people would say depress you more. I had quit smoking for over a year and I took it back up about 3 months post d-day. At first I guilt tripped myself about it, but honestly, at the time, allowing myself to sit on my patio and smoke was a relief. I didn't make it a permanent return, but I felt like I was going nuts, and it managed to help me relax. Bad physical health decision, but one of the better mental health decisions I made.

It was a shitty time for me as I was living out of state on a contract job alone and literally knew no one for 1000+ miles in any direction aside from co-workers who I shared niceties with but no one who I could call a friend. It was incredibly lonely (hence my screen name) and I was extremely depressed for quite awhile.

The positive side of this is that I'm not anymore. It took time and perspective, but it happened. I'm 2.5 years past d-day 1, 1.5 years past d-day 2 (A never ended - false R), and 1 year past d-day 3 (A ended for 3 months and then restarted - false R again)....and I think I reached a better place around the beginning of this year. There was no magic pill - but if I had to say what was the turning point, it was acceptance and letting go. Acceptance of who my WH is. Acceptance of where I found myself in my life. Acceptance of the options I had going forward. Letting go of the life I thought I had and the life I thought Iwas going to have. Once I really owned it and stopped my own pity-party (I'm not saying that's where you are, but I know I was caught in a vicious cycle of "this is so unfair" for a long time) things got better...and they got better quickly.

You will get there, I promise.

[This message edited by ThisIsSoLonely at 10:42 AM, May 27th (Wednesday)]

You are the only person you are guaranteed to spend the rest of your life with. Act accordingly.

Constantly editing posts: usually due to sticky keys on my laptop or additional thoughts

id 8546134

josiep ( member #58593) posted at 11:01 PM on Wednesday, May 27th, 2020

Maybe Lexapro isn’t the right choice for you. My doctor ended up ordering the GeneSight DNA test to narrow down which anti-depressant might work for me because nothing seemed to be working. My results were quite significant and led her to prescribe one that is working.

Just a thought.

BW, was 67; now 74; M 45 yrs., T 49 yrs.DDay#1, 1982; DDay#2, May, 2017. D July, 2017

id 8546266
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy