You say you're trying to give your wife's pain weight and cultivate empathy for her perspective, but you also say you don't find her position reasonable. How exactly do you give weight to an objection you've already decided is unreasonable?
I believe it was on the last page before this one that I presented two homebuying examples. Under some deadlines, rather than reproduce the argument, I will have to point you to that.
And I think this brings me back to what I see as the larger question underneath everything you've written: what does putting your wife first actually require of you when what she needs is directly opposed to what you want?
I believe marriage obliges each spouse to be willing to make some sacrifices. I believe the answer to your question is it applies in this specific case is highly unclear. I would advocate for a reframing of the question: your question frames my wife’s need for my friend’s exit as a need, but frames my need for my friend’s return as a want. That introduces a subtle bias that is unfair.
Going no contact is certainly a sacrifice. But is it the same sacrifice when you believe that, once you've done the work, you will eventually deserve the opportunity to resume contact? In that case, you're giving something up while still expecting that you may eventually get something in return.
I don’t think I understand what you were asking there.
Perhaps the more meaningful sacrifice is giving up something you desperately want while accepting that you may never get it back. Isn't that where you find out whether your wife really is the priority?
In an important sense, I have already done that. my friend is out of my life. I cannot text her… Call her… Play my video game with her… See her… I have made the sacrifice even though I know my friend was about to quit her job, after which she would need to look for a new job, and that might mean, changing her phone number, her mailing address, and even her email address. It is possible that, in one and 1/2 years, if I go to look for her, I will never again be able to find her.
My question would be: why should I be the only one to sacrifice? I know… I know… I was the one who had the disordered friendship, but what I’m saying is: (a) I’m also offering to commit to not restoring the friendship under its original, unsupervised terms; (2) I know I’m gonna take a lot of flack for this, but I continue to believe that my wife’s unwillingness to work on our marriage years before I ever met my friend means that my wife has a measure of guilt to carry also.
Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for our spouse even when we don't believe their preference is objectively necessary or reasonable.
I agree, but not all sacrifices are equally core. The other night, we went out to dinner. I gave my wife some of my steak because I could see she was eyeing it. I’m not suggesting that that’s remotely in the same league. My whole point is, in fact, the opposite: that was an easy sacrifice. Giving up permanently the only good friend I have had (besides my wife) in 30 years? That’d be a monumental sacrifice. Since everyone seems to think sacrifices of even that magnitude are obligatory, how about I propose a sacrifice my wife could make for me: she could let me have the friendship under the governance of safeguards and transparency.
…if my husband cultivated a friendship—male or female, platonic or not—that became such a priority in his life that he would consider divorcing me or ending his life over losing it, I would also object to that individual remaining in his life.
Then you would have a dead husband.
And what about the cost to your wife? She has already experienced having her marriage dishonored by this relationship. If, after everything that happened, she is again told that her needs and sense of safety ultimately cannot outweigh your desire to have this particular person back in your life, how does that feel different from being told that your wants and this relationship take precedence over hers?
It’s not "my wife’s marriage" that was harmed; it was our marriage and we who were harmed. Still, point taken: It was predominantly my fault.
We can go back and forth over your 2nd point 1000 times. For me, the bottom line is that I have offered a compromise. Not a demand of: I insist on full & unrestricted & private access to my friend. More than "willing," I am enthusiastic to meet my wife’s rational security needs over the friendship, given its history. Marriage is about compromise. We have competing claims: I want my friend and my wife wants security. Why must I accept my wife insisting on treating this impasse as a zero-sum-game? Why not: I get my friend under safeguards and my wife gets security?
I also find it interesting that you describe wanting to show your friend that you've done the work, healed your marriage, and regained your integrity. Your wife is the person you harmed. Shouldn't rebuilding your integrity place greater emphasis on repairing what you damaged with her, rather than demonstrating your growth to the person you hope to have back in your life?
Absolutely!
yet you're contemplating divorce if you cannot resume the friendship. How do those positions fit together with your understanding of marriage as a one-flesh union?
You’re correct on that criticism, but what I’m really contemplating isn’t divorce, but effecting my own death. Now… there’s a thorn there, too—Catholics aren’t supposed to undertake suicide. But there is… a "grey zone" on that one.
And then there's your friend's choice…. If she decided that maintaining that distance is what is best, wouldn't it be healthier to cultivate yourself and your capacity for friendship without making your future happiness contingent on either her return or your wife's eventual agreement?
Yes. It would help me out here greatly if human beings were fungible goods. It would be just grand if all I needed that I got from the friendship was a commodity. Let’s just pretend that what I really had was a sexual affair—because it makes the example so much simpler. That all I really "needed and got" out of the relationship was… idk… anal sex. Well… maybe my wife wouldn’t be all that keen on the idea, but maybe she’d "have a go" from time-to-time to keep me faithful. Throw me a boner, as it were. Well, gosh! That’d make this whole conundrum into a blessedly "easy fix," wouldn’t it? Only… what I, in fact, obtained from the relationship that was so vitally precious to me wasn’t ass. That’s not how I value people. To be honest, I would hate to be the sort of person who values relationships transactionally. I honestly feel offended when people treat my friend like a shopping list. I almost want to respond—rhetorically: Well, how about I kidnap your child? It’ll be ok; just tell me what you got out of your relationship with your child and I’ll just get you another child to replace the one I stole! My friend was, and is, an whole person!!!! What I want most isn’t really reducible to praise… or emotional support or being seen or any other set of qualities or goods. What I want is "my AP."
There’s another layer to my vehement objection to this sort of thought. The issue here is far more subtle and so arguably less egregious. I love my wife for the person that she used to be. Speaking of "asses," what an ass I would be if I tried to impose on my wife a responsibility of being like someone else. Imagine: Well, gosh, Honey! If you could maybe just dress more like my friend did... Or maybe: Would you be willing to laugh like "my AP," sometimes? You know, she had this kinda… sexy little laugh that... just made my pulse quicken!
No. Just... no. I would never do that to my wife. I never wanted to turn "my AP" into my wife, and my wife was perfect, just as she used to be. When I give my wife any asks to change, they won’t be to change into "my AP." My asks will be to become again in character who my wife used to be.
I must go. More later if I can find the time.
[This message edited by Unconventional at 12:20 AM, Tuesday, September 29th]