Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

General :
The United States of Scandal Series - Trigger City

Topic is Sleeping.

whatisloveanyway (original poster member #66450) posted at 9:26 PM on Monday, March 4th, 2024

Ugh. My WH loves this series, and I watched a few with him, but the * NO POLITICS! ** one was just too much. I followed that sad story in real time before I knew who I was married to. At the time my heart broke for * NO POLITICS! ** and I had no idea what I was even talking about in that regard because I had not lived through it yet.

Anyway, when that episode started, I said No, I do not like this story, this is awful. Did he get the hint? Nope. When we got to the part where * NO POLITICS! ** denied not only the affair but the paternity of his daughter, I was really starting to get agitated, but when the smug mistress interview section began I just said I hate her, I hate him, I hate this story and I just wish * NO POLITICS! ** had lived long enough to divorce him like she had wished.

He finally got that I was upset and asked if I wanted to watch something else. You think?? Expert compartmentalizers can be pretty slow on the uptake.

Anyway, we won't be watching any more corrupt, cheating, lying politician news shows. I'm kicking myself for sitting through as much of that triggering crap as I did. All I had to do was say nope, change the channel and he would have. I guess I was just waiting to see if any light bulbs could go off in his head. Live and learn.

[This message edited by SI Staff at 3:19 PM, Tuesday, March 5th]

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8827235

SadieMae ( member #42986) posted at 9:35 PM on Monday, March 4th, 2024

* NO POLITICS! ** seemed like a very classy lady. It was hard to watch this unfold on the news, I wouldn't want to watch a documentary of the whole mess. Especially since she's not able to speak her truth. barf

It always amazes me when my WH has those blinders on as well. I just don't get how. Like the day the Eagles' song Lying Eyes came on and he just sang along like a canary. WTF?

Did he realize his missed cues afterward?

[This message edited by SI Staff at 3:19 PM, Tuesday, March 5th]

Me: BW D-day 3/9/2014
TT until 6/2016
TT again Fall 2020
Yay! A new D-Day on 11/8/2023 WTAF

posts: 1431   ·   registered: Apr. 3rd, 2014   ·   location: Sweet Tea in the Shade
id 8827237

SacredSoul33 ( member #83038) posted at 9:55 PM on Monday, March 4th, 2024

All I had to do was say nope, change the channel and he would have.

This is the important part. In my experience, the WS doesn't get triggered the same way that the BS does because we experienced trauma and they didn't.

We have to be our own advocate, be transparent, and say, "This triggers the crap out of me. Please change the channel."

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8827242

NoThanksForTheMemories ( member #83278) posted at 10:41 PM on Monday, March 4th, 2024

My WS gets it - he is as uncomfortable watching these types of stories as I am, and if it's just us, we'll fast forward or stop watching, and he will usually say something apologetic to me and/or check how I'm feeling. Note that this was not always the case! In the early months, he would notice but wait to see if I said anything. It took a while for me to get it into his head that I ALWAYS noticed, and that if he said nothing, I assumed it was because he was either clueless or too ashamed to bring it up.

Slightly off topic, but if you ever want to look up a show or movie before watching it to check whether it has infidelity, try the site Does The Dog Die. It covers a lot more than cheating, too (crowdsourced info, but generally reliable).

WH had a 3 yr EA+PA. Dday1 Nov '22. Dday4 Sep '23. 30 years together. Staying for the teenager. Allowing space for R without commitment.

id 8827248

whatisloveanyway (original poster member #66450) posted at 1:59 PM on Tuesday, March 5th, 2024

Thanks for the support, the reminder to just be blatant about what I need, and for the site to vet shows. The most surprising thing to me is that I just keep waiting/hoping for something to register in his head, when he has proven repeatedly that it’s not going to happen.

I think the real issue for me isn’t the tone deafness around this touchy triggery topic, but the fact that I am not being heard when I very much need to be heard. More fodder for therapy I guess.

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8827325

SacredSoul33 ( member #83038) posted at 3:14 PM on Tuesday, March 5th, 2024

I think the real issue for me isn’t the tone deafness around this touchy triggery topic, but the fact that I am not being heard when I very much need to be heard.

I think that's really insightful. If you're like me, I needed to process things a lot, sometimes repeatedly. I needed to feel understood. Him sitting there watching - and enjoying - a show about infidelity while not recognizing that it's a trigger surely didn't help you feel that he understood the pain that you experienced.

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8827334
flag

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 3:29 PM on Tuesday, March 5th, 2024

whatisloveanyway, You have a PM.

[This message edited by SI Staff at 3:29 PM, Tuesday, March 5th]

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30215   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8827337

Trumansworld ( new member #84431) posted at 5:41 PM on Tuesday, March 5th, 2024

Love the One Your With (Crosby Stills) came on the radio on the way home. I'm not sure if he was even paying attention. I have no problem turning it off and pointing out why. Damn if it doesn't feel like EVERY song or movie has cheating woven into it. Maybe it's like when you buy a white car you notice all the white cars on the road. Anyway, WH will squirm in the chair and not change the channel if it's something I chose. If he chose it, it changes quickly. Sometimes I'll leave it on just to let him suffer a bit. duh

BW 63WH 65DD 12/01/2023M 43Together 48

posts: 44   ·   registered: Jan. 31st, 2024   ·   location: Washington
id 8827362
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy