Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

New Beginnings :
A dream last night shined a spotlight on my trust issues

Topic is Sleeping.

Solarchick (original poster member #80222) posted at 1:25 PM on Tuesday, December 20th, 2022

Last night, I had a very vivid dream that involved a catastrophe scenario. In it, I was in charge of a new home that was more like a resort. I'm not sure I owned it, but there was going to be hell to pay if it wasn't in perfect shape. My latest ex-husband was there, as was my current boyfriend, and my father, who passed almost two years ago, and my dog.

In the dream, I was trying to clean a floor. My dad was helping me, and I was very thankful he was doing so, as I trusted he would do a good job and I could trust his judgment and his approach to get the floor cleaned up.

Then there was a situation where I was trying to clean up after my dog, and my XH came in and looked at the mess, and just shrugged his shoulders and wandered off. Then my current BF came in and told me he didn't think much of my ex (which I agreed with, as my ex has never been any good in a crisis situation) and started trying to help me clean up after the dog. He was helpful, but I didn't trust him like I trusted my dad.

I woke up from the dream at 2 a.m. and something was perfectly clear. I don't trust men because I always had trust issues with my dad. Despite the fact that, for the last 15 years of his life, we had a great relationship, before then, it was kind of a shit show. He was a perfectionist, and very hard on me as a child. Not to mention, we were both alcoholics. I sobered up at 38, and came to accept him as he was, and we built a pretty good friendship by the time he died. I was the only one in our immediate family that actually liked him. Since he died, my mother has donned her rose-colored glasses and claims they were one of the world's greatest love stories (they were NOT), but still says he was a bad father. My brother still vilifies my dad to this day.

When I woke up, my mind went to the fact that I knew my dad was imperfect and flawed, but still trusted him the most. I knew "the nature of the beast" and still trusted him. I knew my XH was a complete waste of time, kind of a non-entity. And I wanted to trust my BF, but feared he didn't know what I wanted enough to help me solve my problems in this scenario.

I woke up and immediately came to the realization that a person doesn't have to be perfect to be trusted. They can even be deeply flawed and still worthy of a degree of trust.

It bears mention that when I woke up at 2 a.m., my BF was not in bed, but I could hear him snoring out on the couch. As I was falling back asleep, he came back into bed. He left for work this morning as I was just waking up, gave me a kiss, and told me that he loved me. My mind went right back to this dream and trying to untangle it.

I realize that I have a very weak foundation for trusting men in general. I also realize that a man doesn't have to be perfect to be worthy of my trust. As a matter of fact, to trust somebody implicitly is probably a bad idea, as I am not perfect, and should not expect anyone else to be. To demand that anyone else be perfect is a LOT to put on them, not to mention unrealistic. Trust comes in degrees over time and has limits.

Right now, as my BF and I are getting used to living together, we are learning a LOT about each other. For example, he doesn't like tomatoes (good - neither do I) or my favorite brand of TP. laugh Big stuff! But it's the kind of little things that you know about each other that enable you to be a well-oiled machine and take good care of each other.

It's just going to take some time.

After all, he's trustworthy, never too far away, even if he's not exactly where I expect him to be, and he's consistent. He's doing everything right to earn my trust, and he's not even actively trying to earn it.

Thank you dad for showing me this. I miss you terribly. Thank you for the gift. It was just what I needed and I didn't even know I needed it.

Me: BW, 57, two awesome grown sons. Remarried in 2010. That lasted 11 years.WXH: Not even a blip on my radar anymore. I'm glad he's messing up the OW's life now and leaving me alone. D (with cause) in 2004.

posts: 153   ·   registered: Apr. 11th, 2022   ·   location: Charleston, SC
id 8770198

Solarchick (original poster member #80222) posted at 5:25 AM on Wednesday, December 21st, 2022

I shared my dream and what I thought of it with my BF tonight. He was as steady as he's ever been. I asked him to be patient with me as my trust builds, and told him that I really appreciate all he does to build that trust every day. He was kind of perplexed by that, and I had to explain to him how he does it without even thinking about it. He simply said, "Honey, that's who I am." I am a very lucky woman.

Me: BW, 57, two awesome grown sons. Remarried in 2010. That lasted 11 years.WXH: Not even a blip on my radar anymore. I'm glad he's messing up the OW's life now and leaving me alone. D (with cause) in 2004.

posts: 153   ·   registered: Apr. 11th, 2022   ·   location: Charleston, SC
id 8770267

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 5:28 AM on Wednesday, December 21st, 2022

Interesting dream and I'm glad that you're learning about trust.

Your BF sounds like a great guy.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8770268

twicefooled ( member #42976) posted at 5:20 PM on Thursday, December 29th, 2022

Those moments of clarity can be like a mental lightning bolt! I'm happy that you had one, they are life-changing (at least they have been for me).

In my case, and in hindsight after therapy, my dad broke my trust when I was 16yrs old. I didn't know that he was a gambling addict. I had always had 2 jobs since I was 9 yrs old (paper route and babysitting, or fast food and retail, or professional job plus side gig). I've always been a saver. He came to me one day when I was 16, asking for a $2000 loan. I had been saving for my university education, he knew this, and he asked me anyway. Thank goodness I said no, as my gut told me that this was my only way out of my shitty town and it would take me even longer to leave if I gave my dad money. He just said ok and didn't ask me again. But that fractured my "dad is my idol" mentality.

Then my ex ended up being a drug addict (9yrs into our 16yr marriage and after 2 kids).

My current significant other is different, he's been winning my trust over and over again the past 2.5 yrs we've been dating (we still live in our own places). But I don't think I can ever give blind trust to anyone again. I can trust me and I'm extremely resourceful. I know I will always figure it out. But I can't give that over to anyone. Even if I trust my SO 99%, that 1% will always be reserved for me. And I've made peace with that about myself.

May 29 2021 ***reclaimed myself and decided to delete my story with my ex because I'm now 7 years free from him and mentally healthier than I've been in years.

*********When you know better, you can do better*************

id 8771319
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy