Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Complication of spaying?

Topic is Sleeping.

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 11:47 PM on Wednesday, December 7th, 2022

I recently had my 10 month old puppy spayed. About nine days ago. All went well. The staff at the veterinary hospital were efficient, personable with my puppy, etc.

I received instructions regarding postoperative care and followed them. About five nights after the surgery, she was lying next to me on the couch, and ready to fall asleep. When I looked over at her, I noticed that her head was shaking minimally from side to side…like with Parkinson in humans. Her eyes were open and yet when I passed my hand across her line of vision, she did not blink. It took me quite some time to get her to "wake up".

So, I’m thinking a petite mall seizure? The next day she threw up. Since then, nothing. No tremors, no nausea or vomiting. She is back to her perky, excited, "puppyness".

I texted the clinic where she had her surgery and described what had happened. The vet said that they had never had that type of reaction, but that with anesthesia nothing is impossible. She suggested that if it happened again, I videotape so that I can show it to our veterinarian.

Anyone have any idea what could cause such a thing? I’ve been so worried.

The only thing that helps me not be completely hysterical is when I remember that she is very twitchy when she sleeps/dreams.

Any input???

[This message edited by WhatsRight at 11:51 PM, Wednesday, December 7th]

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8768573

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 3:23 AM on Thursday, December 8th, 2022

WhatsRight, I really appreciated your empathic post to me on the loss of my dear old dog, my best-ever Baby.

I would have freaked out, too, trying to wake her up.

Random thoughts on this episode: what breed puppy? Some breeds are prone to seizures, I understand.

The fact it was 9 days after the operation and you followed all the post-op directions, like keeping her calm and not letting her lick her sutures, bodes well that she didn't tear something internally.

But pull up her lip and look at her gums, normal pink? If they seem pale, I'd take her in for a quick check. Not to alarm you, but our vet thinks our old boy must have been experiencing some internal bleeding and reabsorbing blood for a few days before the crisis that killed him. Yet his gums weren't pale, either....so even that's not a sure sign.

Anesthesia can have some weird effects, but 9 days after seems like too long to still be in her system.

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8768601

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 8:37 PM on Thursday, December 8th, 2022

So scary. Are you giving any new meds for pain/infection? If so I would check to see if that could be contributory.
I also was going to recommend you video it IF it happens again, and also maybe research if your pup is a breed that is know for seizures. Like w/ me I know there are certain blood lines of labs that are notorious for having seizures. One thing I always make sure of is that blood lines are clear of that issue, but even if your sweet girl does have a seizure disorder there are many great medications to manage this.

I hope she continues to heal up well.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8768698

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 9:23 PM on Thursday, December 8th, 2022

My pup was recently diagnosed with seizures. The vet was not taking my concerns seriously so I took a video of an episode and it was indeed a seizure. I forget what kind his are but they are not caused by a tumor and they don't do any damage. Since his are not very frequent we don't need to medicate him. We were told that they are upsetting for us to watch but he is fine and does not realize what happened.

My boy throws up, falls over, his limbs stiffen and his jaw shakes. All that only lasts about a minute and then he is fine.

Even if it was a seizure chances are he will be fine.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8768705
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy