Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Advice for figuring out cause of sneezing attacks not caused by allergies - anyone?

Topic is Sleeping.

earlydetour (original poster member #63207) posted at 9:58 PM on Wednesday, November 16th, 2022

Anyone else develop sneezing fits later in life. I've always had seasonal allergies and sneezed here and there, but in my 50s I started with sneezing "attacks" that go on sometimes for only 1 minute with 5-10 sneezes and then some last 3-4 minutes with sneezing every 5-15 seconds. TMI - not an ideal situation for a woman who's had kids that has anything in their bladder.

Before the 1st sneeze, my nose doesn't seem irritated as it would with allergies. I take a daily allergy med pill (24 hr non-drowsy pills and I've tried several types) but nothing has changed - I still get the attacks. Sometimes once a day, sometimes I skip a day or two.

I've heard of sunlight triggering sneezing - nope that doesn't match when it happens most of the time.

My doctor just said there's nothing to do except take allergy medication. Not helping at all.

Anyone else have this and find a solution? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

posts: 295   ·   registered: Mar. 28th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8765468

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 6:13 AM on Thursday, November 17th, 2022

Have you seen an allergist?

My H had a terrible allergy to newsprint. We used to get the daily and Sunday paper. The daily was a quick read in the am, and was just a few cobweb clearing sneezes. But lordy the Sunday was often a long drawn out event with breaks and picking back up a new section. He would often sneeze 10-20 times consecutively. Put the paper down it would stop. Come to find out its not an uncommon allergy

He also suffered from a ragweed allergy. August until first freeze was an adventure again sneezing without a break for an hour or more at a time. Usually a shower would help wash the p9llen/allergen away for a while. We also tried multiple antihistamines. But honestly time took care of it. He hasn't had a bad ragweed year for about 7 years now.

But a trip to the allergist to determine the cause and what antihistamines work best can be helpful

Lastly if you have not tried it get plain old pepcid and take twice daily. Yes the stomach antiacid....it too is a histamine blocker and can be magical when all else has failed

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8765533

Lionne ( member #25560) posted at 2:57 AM on Saturday, November 19th, 2022

I sneeze a lot when it's dry. I sleep with a humidifier all winter long.

Me-BS-65 in May<BR />HIM-SAFWH-68<BR />I just wanted a normal life.<BR />Normal trauma would have been appreciated.

posts: 8528   ·   registered: Sep. 18th, 2009   ·   location: In my head
id 8765898

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 3:27 AM on Saturday, November 19th, 2022

Sunlight triggers me.

BS Fwh

id 8765899

earlydetour (original poster member #63207) posted at 1:01 AM on Sunday, November 20th, 2022

I haven't seen an allergist, but I'm not sure it is actually an allergy. That's the thing. I know what I feel like when I'm around angora/rabbit hair items - the first time was when my mom gave me a bday gift of a knit vest to wear over blouses at work and it caused my nose to run continuously after about a 1/2 hour, and no sneezing that I recall.

The other thing I know about is dry erase markers - something about them gets into the air and causes the same reaction as angora - nose runs continuously and I feel like I'm drowning in mucus. Like a faucet has been turned on in my sinuses. I had that happen several times volunteering in elementary school classrooms. And no sneezing at all.

These sneezing attacks are different. No warning. No mucus beforehand. It could be dryness. I've had it going on for several years and have tried to figure out any commonality in how I'm feeling, what I'm around, where I am, etc. When I hear folks talk about sunlight triggering sneezing attacks, that's what it seems like for me when it happens - no warning - just sneezing continuously. But sunlight hasn't been a factor in most of my attacks.

posts: 295   ·   registered: Mar. 28th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8766014

Gunnut ( member #63221) posted at 12:20 PM on Saturday, November 26th, 2022

If it’s followed by intense pain in the side of face or the roots of your teeth, it might be Trigeminal neuralgia. I can tell when a bout of it is coming, I get a tingle in one nostril and I start having sneezing attacks. If I’m having allergies, I can certainly have sneezing fits, but it s the same in both nostrils. I’m now able to tell the difference and get ahead of the Trigeminal neuralgia before the intense pain starts.

posts: 467   ·   registered: Mar. 29th, 2018   ·   location: Minnesota
id 8766773
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy