Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Stray Cats. Tigger and Tina

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 9:07 PM on Saturday, October 29th, 2022

Yesterday I was moving furniture in the yard and guess what? A very sweet bit older than kitten kitty shows up with their shy brother/sister.

From the looks of them they were dumped off in "the country".

Bad news is they now have names. Tina is more friendly than Tigger Thomas.

Remind me of the million reasons I do not need a pet right now ...much less two.

They have litter box, two kinds of $$ food, some toys and a cute little bed.

Tina likes chicken nuggets.

Thomas thinks I am scary and runs from me.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   路   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   路   location: US
id 8762810

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 4:29 AM on Sunday, October 30th, 2022

"Tina" is now with one of the people who originally spotted the pair of not quite grown cats in the yard. She is really sweet and was purring once she warmed up.

Tigger is eating the food we left out. He is still skeptical that we have good intentions. He was staying several feet out of reach.

Any suggestions on getting him to warm up to us so we can get him a check up and some shots and in where it is warm?

We have gotten close enough to be pretty sure someone dumped them...they are very thin.

I contacted several neighbors and no one knows of any missing cats. Also they were sweet but really thirsty and hungry.

Any cat rescue ideas are welcome. No one liked the idea of Tigger being outside when they seem like they were not ferrals.

We got him a cat carrier and there is a vet checkup service that is open at the local farm store tomorrow. If we could catch him we could get him there and get him checked out. Of course we will check for any micro chip...but that's very doubtful.

I have no experience with this sort of thing but a soft spot for strays...

id 8762846

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 7:13 PM on Tuesday, November 8th, 2022

So heart broken but despite everyone's best efforts and patience, food, etc we could not convince Tigger to come in. There was a bad storm. The night before he came to the door and ate near me and I was thinking we had made progress. The next day was nasty weather all day. We haven't seen him since and I am heartbroken.

I think it's just the cumulation of the past few years but I feel really sad about this and aweful I could not "save" him. Aweful we were able to help his sister and not him. But she wanted so badly to come in the house and was not afraid of us.

馃槶

id 8764220

SadieMae ( member #42986) posted at 8:39 PM on Tuesday, November 8th, 2022

Awww, I am so sorry. It truly is heartbreaking. But you tried. Maybe Tigger will show up once the weather calms down again.

How is Tina doing?

Me: BW D-day 3/9/2014
TT until 6/2016
TT again Fall 2020
Yay! A new D-Day on 11/8/2023 WTAF

posts: 1431   路   registered: Apr. 3rd, 2014   路   location: Sweet Tea in the Shade
id 8764225

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 10:59 PM on Tuesday, November 8th, 2022

I鈥檓 sorry to read this. Hugs!

BS Fwh

id 8764240

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 1:18 AM on Wednesday, November 9th, 2022

I'm so sorry Shehawk.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8764254

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 2:23 AM on Wednesday, November 9th, 2022

Thanks everyone. It is heartbreaking.

Tina went home with the person who noticed them at my place coming out of the cornfield. She was renamed "Faith" or maybe Maisey (for the cornfield and that she is calico) by the person's grandkids who had name ideas lol and she is living her best life ever.

It's been 2 days of really nice weather and no Tigger
馃槩

Wish whoever dumped them had just knocked on my door and asked me if I wanted 2 cats. This makes 3 youngish kittys showing up dumped here in the past month and only one was not so terrified that we could catch her.

馃槩

id 8764261

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 8:00 AM on Wednesday, November 9th, 2022

Hopefully Tigger is just hiding, but you have done all you can.
IfTig comes back, it will take time and patience to get him to come to you 鈥攖he feral stays in some kitties.
There may be a TNR cat rescue near you that will have a "have a heart" trap you can use to trap him if he comes around again.

It鈥檚 lovely that you care for little strays :-).

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   路   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   路   location: Northern CA
id 8764278

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 1:49 PM on Wednesday, November 9th, 2022

Thanks Bearly. When I lived in Florida there were a lot of Ferals. Our neighborhood did what we could to tnr them. People wanted to take them in but they were so wild. We provided food, spay/neuter and rabies etc shots and did what we could to help.

I had gotten Tigger to come to the door of the house and eat (scarf) his food. He even came in the house a bit to check things out.

We were trying to get him accustomed to coming close to allow trapping for vet care if necessary. We had put out a plastic box for him with soft cloth inside in a warm place for sleeping. And you are right. His wildish self was having no parts of that.

His sister desperately wanted to come in the house from the first moments we saw her. She came towards the house and was trying to get in the window and meowing. She came up to humans easily and by the second day she was happily homed.

Even so she was terrified with the cat carrier. We think that's how they were dumped near here.

Between the neighbors well over a dozen dumped cats have been vetted and rehomed in various homes, a farm etc. A family member vetted and rehomed 2 in her house that were dropped off. After my family member passed one of their cats went to live with someone who had lost their cat and he lived out a very lovely life. The other stayed feral and was placed in a feral rescue because none of us could get near her despite the fact she had lived indoors for over a decade. I had to use welding gloves when I had to take her to the vet.

It's hard on us. I was so hopeful that Tigger would warm up and come in from the cold. I don't currently have a companion animal. I am going to make a post in general.

We feel like there is something more we should have done to help the little guy. We don't know that something bad happened to him. We have looked for him. But he has not shown up anywhere near and he was so thin when he showed up here.
馃槩

Several of the rehomed former strays wander the neighborhood despite the fact they have homes now, so we are hopeful....it vexes their people but one of them sneaks out and comes and sits on my patio late at night. Sets off the security lights and scared me to death when he first started doing this lol. We have big cats and other wildlife here so you have to watch yourself late at night.

id 8764290
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy