Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
Do you prefer long or short nails?

Topic is Sleeping.

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 3:22 AM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

I was a nail biter growing up and my mom tried everything to get me to stop. Even promised $5 for every nail that grew past the end of my fingertips. Alas I never saw any money.

Working in Healthcare I preferred short nails since they didn't rip gloves or scratch by mistake.

Now though I have allowed my nails to grow. They have always been thin, ridged, easily broken. I've increased my dairy and find my nails thicker, though still ridged.

Today I wanted to get all of the pigs set up in the old chicken coup which is closer to the house, for the winter. In the process I caught my nail on my middle finger on a board. It bent back but didn't break. What it did do is rip off the nail bed so it began to bleed like crazy. Can we say PAIN! I ended up having to cut the nail short and then tape it so I didn't catch it again.

Funny story, when dd and I went out she got a small can of Pringle to snack on. She tried to open the inner seal but the tab part ripped off. At the time my thumb nail was super long and thick, like screw driver worthy. So I offered to open it. I tried to puncture the top with that nail only to have it snap. Dd just laughed.
Dd, ds and little M all bite their nails. Dd is the worst though, she has hardly any nails at all. Big d grows his nails out so long so quickly I have to trim them every few days!

I'm starting to wonder if short nails are just better suited for me and my farm life. I do like the long nails, sometimes even wear nail polish. Also like the ability to gouge out eyeballs if I ever need to lmao.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25824   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8761837

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 5:42 AM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

This can be a trigger for me because my mom thought that long fingernails meant you weren't working hard enough, and I have usually had long fingernails.

When it starts to get colder, my nails start to break. As I get older, my nails aren't as strong.

Farm work will do a number on your nails. Using a supplement like Hoof & Nail definitely helps my nails. (It's applied to your cuticles and can usually be found at your local farm store.)

I used to take the part of my nail that broke and superglue it back, then polish over the top.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8761851

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 2:31 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

leafields I'm so sorry your mother was like that.

Mine was all about me being thr perfect little princess. Ugh! Hair done up, in a dress, fancy uncomfortable shoes. Had to play the part if perfect daughter... while my dad treated me like a son. Had me fishing before I could walk lol. Camping, catching frogs, climbing trees, getting covered in mud lol

My middle finger hurts bad. All thr blood under thr nail makes it look dirty.

I bought a glittery purple nail polish but it comes out so dark it looks black. I didnt like it. Going to habe to go find something (other than thr pink and green my girls have) to use for now.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

id 8761873

annb ( member #22386) posted at 2:59 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

I keep my nails short.

When I was younger and working, my nails were always done, a bit longer, and so annoying. What was I thinking! rolleyes

If my nails get too long, they seem to get in my way.

I don't bite my nails, and at the length I keep them, when I do have them done, they look great.

My nails were always hard, so when they were long would often break, and I'd end up having to cut all of the nails to keep them looking even.

My step mom was raised on a farm, no long nails for her or her sisters or anyone for that matter.

posts: 12195   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2009   ·   location: Northeast
id 8761878

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 3:52 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

I prefer to keep mine short.

I don't think you can adequately clean under long nails. I'm referring to germs not dirt.

I do a lot of yard work and other things that would also make longer nails impractical.

I even grew up in a state known for nails and hair. laugh

Whatever makes you happy!!!!

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8761889

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 4:08 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

My nails are so soft that if I try to pull the spring back to fasten a necklace, it puts a big divot in my nail.

So I enjoy getting my nails done. But I always get them on the short side for practicality.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8761892

MIgander ( member #71285) posted at 5:13 PM on Monday, October 24th, 2022

Short-ish. Long enough to have a bit of white at the tips, short enough not to get bent back or ripped too easily.

Sometimes they are able to grow out though, but one usually breaks and then I end up trimming them all down again.

Seems like every time I paint my nails, they just crack and get weaker and dry. So, since I also am busy with my hands, I don't tend to paint my nails too often.

WW/BW Dday July 2019. BH/WH- multiple EA's. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

posts: 1189   ·   registered: Aug. 15th, 2019   ·   location: Michigan
id 8761905

Lionne ( member #25560) posted at 1:45 AM on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022

For lucky me, the worst part of the covid shutdown was the inability to get my nails done. Not for vanity. Mine are thin, brittle and peel easily. Even when I do them myself, no matter what "diamond" or "platinum" formula I use, they'd inevitably break or tear below my fingertips. It's painful and ugly. Currently I use the "dip" method, about every 2.5 weeks. My nail lady laughs at me because I always want them cut as short as possible. They grow just to the point where I can tap them on the table before I need to go back.

Me-BS-65 in May<BR />HIM-SAFWH-68<BR />I just wanted a normal life.<BR />Normal trauma would have been appreciated.

posts: 8528   ·   registered: Sep. 18th, 2009   ·   location: In my head
id 8761982

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 3:14 AM on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022

Currently I use the "dip" method, about every 2.5 weeks.

It's interesting how different parts of the country call different nail treatments different. When we were in IL, I'd just go in and ask for a 'no-chip'. They all knew what that meant. When we moved to CA, I asked for a no-chip, and they asked me if I wanted gel or acrylic. I wasn't sure.

During the pandemic, when I wasn't going in, my cuticles got so beat up. I, too, have very thin, brittle nails that don't really break... they tear. But having a gel or acrylic layer somehow protected my cuticles from tearing. But whatever I'd been getting (I think gel), even they would tear. It would be so frustrating.

So a few months ago, I decided to try the powder dip (SNS system). The first few times I did it, they lasted great! But then, I think as my nails were exposed more and more to the maintenance of doing powder dip, they weakened even more (even though this powder dip is supposed to be healthy for nails), and as they grew out, my nails would curl under and peel away from the powder dip part of the nail. About a month ago, I did a no-no - I peeled off what was curling, then pulled off the powder dip when it would get loose, till I had nothing left on my nails. If I go with a gel or powder dip again, I just can't peel them off if they separate from my nail. I need to go in and have them remove the coating.

I decided to get just regular manicures for a while so my own nails could grow back and not have the damage from where I peeled off the powder dip. They are so fragile right now, and tear at any little accident on my part. I'm hoping once all of the nail that had been covered in powder dip grows out, they will be healthy again, and I can go back to gel.

Since I'm not spending on manicures right now, on Saturday I decided to get the premium pedicure. It was so much better than the regular pedicure. A couple of months ago, I dropped something on one of my big toes, at the base of the bed (was rolling our wet-vac across our backyard, full of water, when it ekipped over a raised spot in the yard and landed on my foot). About four months ago, I had just completely grown out a bruise on the other big toe from dropping something on it last September. And now, of course, I will have to wait out this bruise growing out. So I am going to keep up with my pedicures and polish, even if I take a break on the manicures for a while. I'm told it takes 8-10 months for your big toe nail to grow out completely! 🤨

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8761986

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:13 PM on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022

I prefer short nails, I type all day long and when I have had longer nails it takes a bit to get it right when typing, and it slows me down.

I have NEVER been able to grow decent nails the second they get to my finger tip they simply peel off or snag on something. I have gone through times as long as a year at a time wearing acrylic nails. I too kept them short even though they are incredibly strong. However to maintain those and keep them looking nice it requires a trip to the nail place every 2 weeks at most. It's expensive, and time consuming. I like the way they look and all, but honestly since I work from home now it is really silly. I was considering getting them for my DD's wedding in December. We shall see.

But yah for hauling lifting, moving things that are heavy and general farm life shorter nails are better.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8762014

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 1:46 PM on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022

I've never had a manicure or pedicure.

My fingers are so short and stubby that longer nails do make my hands look nicer. Typing isn't easy with long nails.

Long ago on the middle finger nail I just ripped, I had ripped it back so far that the nail began growing out sideways. Its wider than my other nails and catches really easy.

DD's nails, if she ever lets them grow, actually grow around and over the tips of her fingers. Her toenails do the same.

id 8762019

pureheartkit ( member #62345) posted at 11:09 AM on Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022

Short. I'm in the garden and so between painting and planting, I'm washing my nails all the time. My hands always did work so what good are fancy nails. I'm starting to wear gloves more though.

Thank you everyone for your wisdom and healing.

id 8763231
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy