Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Workplace Irritation

Topic is Sleeping.

FairyTaleGone (original poster member #79059) posted at 2:06 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

I work in an office setting, and there is this guy who whistles (horribly btw) ALL DAY LONG!!!! It is BEYOND irritating. Like, I can hear him over my headphones. I know that he is disturbing a lot of people around him, yet nobody is saying anything.

I put in my notice last week because I'm starting a new job, so I'm not even sure that saying something would be worth it, but I feel like I'm slowly going insane.

That's it...I think I just needed to vent lol!

DDay 1 - 2/19/21 (found out about EA)DDay 2 - 5/22/21 (TT found burner phone)DDay 3 - 6/9/21 (TT found out about PA)

EA/PA ended 3/22/21 -WH went NCWorking on R15yr old DD at home - unfortunately knows way too much

id 8758283

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 2:26 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

You have my sympathies. It's hard to understand how someone could be so unaware that whistling might not be appreciated by others sharing a space all day. duh

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8758286

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 2:36 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

It's hard to understand how someone could be so unaware that whistling might not be appreciated by others sharing a space all day.

He might not even be aware he is doing it. My friend's DD shared a dorm room with a hummer. When approached, the girl didn't realize she was absentmindedly hummer all..the....time.

posts: 6921   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8758287

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 2:44 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

You've been heard! (pun intended)

Yeah, what is it with some people. Like my WH, who has zero memory for any request to change a behavior that annoys me - and after what he put me through, you would THINK he'd make the effort to change. Example: we have one of those washing machines with a high speed Spin cycle. Since I sleep near the laundry area (IHS) the noise it makes during Spin cycle seems akin to a jet engine revving. Months ago, I asked him not to use that setting when he decides to do a wash (and I never know when he will decide to do one, either). So how did that turn out? Just today again, that noise and vibration woke me up, GRRR. I know what he will say about that, too: "Oh, I didn't mean to use that setting." Sheesh.

I think one of the legacies of betrayal is that we notice all too well if or when our stated preferences mean NADA to someone in the way they act. Some people seem nice enough, but when they are asked to modify their behavior for the sake of others, they somehow keep "forgetting."

I wonder if you could take an informal poll about this around the workplace and turn in the results after your final day? And lucky you for getting to move on!

--

EvenKeel posted while I was writing the above, and brought up a different thought: that they are unaware they do it? Surely somebody has mentioned it to the man, if he has worked there a long time?

I knew an old Army guy from rural Texas who used to whistle when he approached you outdoors, like around the corner of the house, in the garden or somewhere. We figured he did it so he would be heard before he got too close. I think he learned it as a kid, that he didn't want someone to startle and maybe shoot first and ask questions later! But he only did that whistle outside and it made sense why he did it.

Oh BTW, here at home I just got the answer I expected about the dryer noise: "I didn't put it on fast spin..." So I guess it must have been my imagination....oye.

[This message edited by Superesse at 3:48 PM, Wednesday, October 5th]

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8758291

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 3:43 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

Good point EvenKeel. I forget this other point of view because I am the complete opposite. I am quiet and try very hard not to do things that would annoy neighbors or people I share space with.

Supresse, your example seems like something you shouldn't have to point out to someone. Those suckers are loud!!!

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8758299

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 10:31 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

I'm a blunt person.

On your final day, especially if they give you a send-off gathering -- just say "Well at least I won't have to listen to anyone whistling anymore on the new job!" I'm sure your co-workers would appreciate it. I would have already approached the guy to tell him to stop the whistling. But as I said, I'm blunt like that. smile

"Because I deserve better"

id 8758353

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:09 PM on Thursday, October 6th, 2022

"Dude your are making us insane" If you feel the need to whistle while you work can you go outside to do it?
I would definitely say it, and then every time he started I'd make sure to make eye contact and give him the mom eye.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8758404

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 7:43 PM on Thursday, October 6th, 2022

Tushnurse, have I got a job for you! 😀

Where does one go when their response is "Oh, I'm sorry" but next day, it's ground hog day, like at my house?! 😀

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8758454

DragnHeart ( member #32122) posted at 8:27 PM on Thursday, October 6th, 2022

I wouldn't be able to Not say something!

My DS whistles but it's not to any tune, just random ones over and over. Drives. Me. Crazy. I've had to learn to count to ten before I say anything or I get snappy. So then I can calmly ask him to stop or go do it in his room.

Hes also bad for making sound effects while playing video games, as if the noises on the game aren't good (and crazy making) enough...

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25824   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8758461

FairyTaleGone (original poster member #79059) posted at 4:39 PM on Wednesday, October 12th, 2022

I decided to take the "nice" route and say something to his manager. Thank god, the whistling seems to have stopped. But as today is my last day, I guess I don't care if he starts back up tomorrow lol!!

It does surprise me that he would be unaware that he was doing it. I am constantly trying to make sure I'm not annoying anyone. Being that unaware of myself seems weird to me!

DDay 1 - 2/19/21 (found out about EA)DDay 2 - 5/22/21 (TT found burner phone)DDay 3 - 6/9/21 (TT found out about PA)

EA/PA ended 3/22/21 -WH went NCWorking on R15yr old DD at home - unfortunately knows way too much

id 8759218

hurtpartner73 ( new member #80985) posted at 1:39 AM on Saturday, October 15th, 2022

I think you handled that well. Normally - I tell people to not try to solve the problems after putting in notice. Sometimes well-intentioned feedback can go wrong and you wouldn't be there to deal with it. It could have a ripple affect and risk giving you a bad reference in the future (some people are petty - and even the whistler could get promoted and stick around the company for a long time). If you'd like to be able to use the job as a reference - or possibly return there someday - I find it better to play it safe. I think the approach you took ('nice') was the right move.

Me: BH, 49; Her: WW, 47, bipolar/borderline DDAY 4/23/2022 - EA 2005-2009ish? PA? Not sure. TT M 17 years, Trying to R - it's bumpy

posts: 43   ·   registered: Sep. 20th, 2022   ·   location: United States
id 8759679
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy