Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
What, if anything, would you do about this?

Topic is Sleeping.

JanaGreen (original poster member #29341) posted at 8:13 PM on Monday, November 30th, 2020

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in off topic, but ultimately this is about me TRYING to have a life as separate from my ex as possible, so I am going to post here.

So, to start at the start, last year sometime before I moved, ex got a ticket because he ran a red light that had a camera. Of course, he declared he wasn't going to pay that. And of course, he hadn't switched his address on his license even thought he moved out over a year before that, so the ticket came to my house, and then the next notice, and then the letters from the law office/collection agency. So I just sent them all to him, and he of course ignored them. I just started throwing them away.

Then I moved, and the letters started coming to my NEW house. And it's illogical of course, but it INFURIATED me to see his name associated with my new address. This is MY house and he's never lived here. So I called the law office and told him that we are divorced and he is not associated with this address. They tried to get me to give them his contact information, and I said I don't want to be in the middle of it and hung up. So those letters stopped.

BUT. Now I get junk mail here for him. And that's annoying as fuck. But whatever, I toss it.

So I contacted my mortgage guy about refinancing my house, and I guess due to something he had to do with that process I started getting calls and letters about refinancing. Whatever. Then the other day I got a letter about refinancing MY home . . . with HIS name on it. They had the closing date wrong, and the loan value wrong, but it was a letter to refinance with his name on it and my address.

Do I need to do anything about this? My bf said I should call them because they had my ex associated with my home and I need to correct that but I'm more thinking it's spam and I should ignore it, even though it pisses me off.

I also got a letter from PayPal today with ex's name "or owner" and his business name associated with it - it irritates the fuck out of me. I'm sure he isn't getting a bunch of mail with MY name on it, but because of his dumb unpaid ticket, his name has gotten all comingled with my address. It's maddening.

Thanks if you made it through my whole rant!

posts: 9505   ·   registered: Aug. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Southeast US
id 8613190

Catwoman ( member #1330) posted at 9:09 PM on Monday, November 30th, 2020

Actually, he probably has nothing to do with this. I get tons of mail for my ex (divorced in 2006, mind you) at this residence (which he never owned).

A good way to know if a letter is "serious" is to look at the postal indicia. If it is standard mail, it's not important. BY LAW, entities cannot use standard mail for things like invoices, etc. So if it's standard mail (which I suspect it is), it's just a solicitation. If it is not, I would contact the entity and have them remove your ex from any association with that address.

Cat

FBS: Married 20 years, 2 daughters 27 and 24. Divorced by the grace of GOD.
D-Days: 2/23/93; 10/11/97; 3/5/03
Ex & OW Broke up 12-10
"An erection does not count as personal growth."

posts: 33182   ·   registered: Apr. 5th, 2003   ·   location: Ohio
id 8613216

million pieces ( member #27539) posted at 10:41 PM on Monday, November 30th, 2020

I just moved in April, I get stuff with my ex's name sent to this new address. Divorced in 2011. I hate it, but what can you do?

Me - 52 D-Day 2/5/10, separated 3 wks later, Divorced 11/15/11!!!!

posts: 2040   ·   registered: Feb. 10th, 2010   ·   location: MD
id 8613226

JanaGreen (original poster member #29341) posted at 11:01 PM on Monday, November 30th, 2020

OK, it sounds like something I should maybe just calm down about

id 8613232

J707 ( member #63778) posted at 2:22 AM on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020

My parents divorced in 2000, both moved to new rentals. My mom bought her own house 8 or 9 years later. She still gets random things every once and awhile for my Dad. It's mostly junk mail though.

posts: 1113   ·   registered: May. 14th, 2018   ·   location: Ca
id 8613286

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 1:24 PM on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020

I am 10 yrs out and still get stuff. If it is junk, I trash it. If it looks legit, I write 'No such person at this address, return to sender' and put back in the mailbox.

If anyone calls looking for him, I give his number. He can deal with them if he doesn't want the call.

When those ticket folks called - you better believe I would have given his new number. That is his mess to clean up!

posts: 6921   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8613360

WhoTheBleep ( member #49504) posted at 2:43 PM on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020

Oh yeah, I'm with evenkeel. They would have gotten his new address and phone number.

I get what you're saying about not wanting to see his name on your stuff. I bought my house 3 years ago. It was a rental for 10 years before that. Very few things in my mailbox actually have my name on it. Most things have the names of previous tenants (so many that I have lost count). Annoying.

I recently started a new job and have my surname embroidered on all of my shirts. When I picked them up at the tailor, and saw that name (married name because my divorce is not yet final), I was a little nauseous. And angry. Yes it's also my kids name, and I'm okay with that. I'm just so done with it being my name. Everyone refers to me by my maiden name at this point, but legally, everything is still in my married name.

I believe we have two lives: the one we learn with, and the one we live with after that. --The Natural

posts: 4523   ·   registered: Sep. 6th, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 8613377

EllieKMAS ( member #68900) posted at 6:41 PM on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020

I don't blame you for being pissed. I got a piece of mail with my exdouche's EXWIFE's name on it at my house last week and felt the same pissed-off feeling (mind you, she has never even lived in my state, I have never met her, the house is in my name only). It was a collection notice so here's hoping the crazy bitch is is financial trouble.

For the mortgage stuff, I would give them a call. You don't want to have mortgage complication down the road and you for sure don't want him being able to access that info in any way. If it were me, I would call and let them know to remove his name from all of it.

"No, it's you mothafucka, here's a list of reasons why." – Iliza Schlesinger

"The love that you lost isn't worth what it cost and in time you'll be glad that it's gone." – Linkin Park

posts: 3901   ·   registered: Nov. 22nd, 2018   ·   location: Louisiana
id 8613441

wildbananas ( member #10552) posted at 7:19 PM on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020

You aren't alone in your annoyance. laugh We've been done since 2007. Where I currently live, I bought this house all on my own 5 years ago. And every now and then, I'll get something in the mailbox with his name on it. I've even gotten a couple debt collector calls on my cell for him, too. It got that number years after we split! I ignore it all.

But what makes me maddest of all? Getting something in the mail with my old married name. I took back my maiden name in the D; I even started using it again before the D was finalized. Ohhhhh doggies, that REALLY gets my hackles up! laugh

Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light. ~ Yogi Bhajan

posts: 16592   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2006   ·   location: Somewhere
id 8613450

allusions ( member #25376) posted at 3:03 AM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

I recently got a very part-time job and had to go through all sorts of background checks and such. One of the background questions asked, as some sort of identity verification, where my first husband now lives, the man I divorced in 1985! It's crazy how that information is floating around and somehow making a connection to me after 35 years!

You can apologize over and over, but if your actions don't change, your words become meaningless.

Behind every crazy bitch is a sweet girl who just got tired of being lied to.

I've found the key to happiness: Stay away from assholes.

posts: 1979   ·   registered: Sep. 1st, 2009   ·   location: California Central Coast
id 8613569

JanaGreen (original poster member #29341) posted at 5:49 AM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

For the mortgage stuff, I would give them a call. You don't want to have mortgage complication down the road and you for sure don't want him being able to access that info in any way.

Oh, just to be clear, the letter wasn't from MY actual mortgage guy that I'm working on the refinance with. That's good to go and should happen on Dec 18. The letter was one of those, you have equity in your home, call us and refinance and get money! kind of letters.

But I think one of us tossed it because I,can't find it now.

id 8613592

barcher144 ( member #54935) posted at 4:13 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

Do I need to do anything about this? My bf said I should call them because they had my ex associated with my home and I need to correct that but I'm more thinking it's spam and I should ignore it, even though it pisses me off.

It's spam, almost certainly.

Feel free to still be pissed off.

This is relevant to something going on in my divorce/new beginning.

Basically, when you change addresses... the post office can give out your new address to someone who sends mail to that address.

Return Service Requested provides address correction services and always returns the piece.

Address Service Requested provides forwarding and address correction services when possible. If the mail is undeliverable and not forwardable, it is returned to the sender with the reason identified on the mailpiece.

Change Service Requested

This way, your credit card company often will know your new address before you tell them that you have moved.

A suggestion: Can you go to the USPS and put in an address change form for your Ex?

Me: Crap, I'm 50 years old. D-Day: August 30, 2016. Two years of false reconciliation. Divorce final: Feb 1, 2021. Re-married: December 3, 2022.

id 8613649

JanaGreen (original poster member #29341) posted at 4:26 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

I don't know, barcher. That was my boyfriend's suggestion as well.

My mom is a retired mail carrier. I asked her what to do with mail that comes to me with his name on it. She said, "If it's a check, cash it. If it's a bill, send it to him." hardy has, mom.

id 8613654

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 7:30 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

I have a semi-literate mail carrier, I get others people mail with other addresses in my box several times a week.

I put it back in my box, and put the flag up... try again dummy.

But for stuff that comes to MY address with wrong names for people that don't live here, I put No such person at this address and stick it back in the box. It gets taken away as well, I just have no idea if it goes to the right person eventually or just ends up on the side of the road....

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8613726

AnnieOakley ( member #13332) posted at 7:37 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

If you have his address, you can update/forward it online if I recall. If I were you, I would be thoroughly irritated each time I got something with his name on it at your cooty free safe zone.

Me= BSHim=xWH (did the work & became the man I always thought he was, but it was too late)M=23+,T=27+dday=7/06, 8/09 (pics at a work function), 11/09 VAR, 6/12 Sep'd, 10/14 Divorced."If you are going through hell, keep going."

posts: 1714   ·   registered: Jan. 18th, 2007   ·   location: Pacific Time Zone
id 8613729

barcher144 ( member #54935) posted at 8:02 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

I don't know, barcher. That was my boyfriend's suggestion as well.

My mom is a retired mail carrier. I asked her what to do with mail that comes to me with his name on it. She said, "If it's a check, cash it. If it's a bill, send it to him." hardy has, mom.

I was assuming that you were trying to be nice to your ex. I didn't question that assumption.

Personally, I agree with your mom -- that's what I'd do.

Me: Crap, I'm 50 years old. D-Day: August 30, 2016. Two years of false reconciliation. Divorce final: Feb 1, 2021. Re-married: December 3, 2022.

id 8613751

little turtle ( member #15584) posted at 10:52 PM on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020

I'm in the same boat. I get coupons/advertisements for Bed Bath & Beyond in his name! Not sure how that happened since he never lived here and I haven't lived with him since 2011. I just ignore it as it's not worth whatever hassle to undo it.

Failure is success if we learn from it.

posts: 5619   ·   registered: Aug. 1st, 2007   ·   location: michigan
id 8613812

Mel61 ( member #43697) posted at 4:40 AM on Thursday, December 3rd, 2020

Retired postal worker, this is a common mailing list problem. I don't know where some of these companies buy their lists but oh man can they screw them up. At my house we built it, we get mail for 3 of my sister in laws, two brother in laws and due to similar last names and handling my father's estate mail for him and my mom who has been deceased almost a decade.

Trying to hold it together

posts: 217   ·   registered: Jun. 11th, 2014   ·   location: Midwest
id 8613872

Phoenix1 ( member #38928) posted at 7:51 AM on Thursday, December 3rd, 2020

If it is something that has "Return Service Requested" I completely block out my address, including any barcodes, and write "not at this address, return to sender." If I don't do that, it sometimes actually comes back to me. First class mail gets the same. Junk gets tossed because I was told it won't be returned to sender any way.

However, any time a process server has come by I absolutely share his last known contact info. I feel it is my civic duty to help them locate him.

fBS - Me
Xhole - Multiple LTAs/2 OCs over 20+yrs
Adult Kids
Happily divorced!

You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending. ~C.S. Lewis~

posts: 9059   ·   registered: Apr. 9th, 2013   ·   location: Land of Indifference
id 8613886

wildbananas ( member #10552) posted at 2:58 PM on Thursday, December 3rd, 2020

However, any time a process server has come by I absolutely share his last known contact info. I feel it is my civic duty to help them locate him.

Of course. I think it's what any of us would do. laugh

Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light. ~ Yogi Bhajan

posts: 16592   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2006   ·   location: Somewhere
id 8613932
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy