Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
Is this a red flag or a one off thing?

Topic is Sleeping.

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 2:29 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

So I've been dating SO for almost a year now. Things have gone really well. Not even so much as an argument between us. We definitely have disagreed about some things but we are both so laid back that we're both good to just agree to disagree or bend to the other person. Neither one of us HAS to be right every time or win every argument.

She has vented about people to me and said things like "well if they do XYZ then I'm going to..." and she proceeds to really go to the extreme with what mean things she's going to say to them. I've called her out on it a few times and said that I hope she doesn't actually say those things to someone. And she always comes back with "No I wouldn't really say that." So I've always taken it as venting. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

She has been working for/with me on my mowing crew since March and although we have a small crew she has always gotten along with everyone. Until last Thursday.

There was a guy that had been working with us about 3 weeks. Apparently he was unintentionally kicking her seat in the truck the last few days they worked together. Then on Thursday he was slurping his food or something and long story short she went off on the guy big time. F words and everything. It caught everyone off guard because her reaction was WAY over the top.

That ended up being his last day as he quit even though I told him he would never have to work with her again. I think he was hurt and embarrassed. As her boss I talked to her privately as soon as the truck stopped and told her if she ever talked to another employee like that again she would be fired. I'm going to write her up and not allow her to work next week.

To be fair, she HATES slurping. Far more than your average person. I think she even said it on our first date. As her boyfriend do you think this was a one time issue or a sign of things to come? As her boyfriend do you think this was a one time issue or a sign of things to come? I'm honestly still really angry at her for this.

DD: 1-14-09 EA/PA OM #1
TT: 5-11&12-09
DD#2: 5-18-09 EA OM #2
5-31-09: Told me she hasn't loved me.
No kids
Me BH: 45
12-08-10: S
Divorced and moved on with my life.

posts: 4058   ·   registered: Mar. 7th, 2009   ·   location: Inside your computer.
id 8580779

99problems ( member #59373) posted at 2:41 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

this sounds like my stbxww... I would be cautious. It seems pretty red flaggy. But you know this woman a lot better than I do.

Does she demean people in conversations with you? like a lot?

Is this overreaction a normal thing?

I would pay a lot of attention to these things. and read up on narcissism and covert narcissism.

The more you know the more you will be able to assess for your own safety and well-being.

Also, can you talk with her about these things? Communication will be your friend. As long as she can honestly communicate back and not avoid the topic. If she seems anxious to change the subject that would not be good.

Got me a new forum name!<BR />Formerly Idiotmcstupid.<BR />I am divorced, so not as much of an idiot now- 4/15/21,

posts: 1010   ·   registered: Jun. 26th, 2017   ·   location: Somewhere
id 8580780

Chili ( member #35503) posted at 2:46 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Sounds like a pretty uncool moment for sure. But, you have known her for a year, so you know if it was over the top for her in general.

I will say this - with the added stress of well...everything these days, I'm giving folks like a half a free pass to be a little nutty or lose their cool. That said - sounds like she was way rude to this guy.

And as far as her working for you - I'm just really gun shy that way given my own business entanglements, so I hope you've got all kinds of good boundaries in place it that situation.

2012 pretty much sucked.
Things no longer suck.
Took off flying solo with the co-pilot chili dog.
"Life teaches you how to live it if you live long enough" - Tony Bennett

posts: 2235   ·   registered: May. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: Reality
id 8580782

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 3:50 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Does she demean people in conversations with you? like a lot?

Nope. Not that she always talks good about everyone. She really doesn't like when people trash talk others. She has a friend that does that and she hates it.

Is this overreaction a normal thing?

Absolutely not. I've never seen her go off like that and we've spent a lot of time together.

Definitely not narcissistic. That would have been my last relationship. To the letter.

It's kind of weird to talk to her about that as the boyfriend. But I agree I need to have the conversation. If not for anything, because it's still bothering me.

No kids

posts: 4058   ·   registered: Mar. 7th, 2009   ·   location: Inside your computer.
id 8580793

99problems ( member #59373) posted at 5:47 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Well that's good. I agree with Chili then. These covid times are really hard for a variety of reasons.

I know I haven't always been a peach since March.

Got me a new forum name!<BR />Formerly Idiotmcstupid.<BR />I am divorced, so not as much of an idiot now- 4/15/21,

posts: 1010   ·   registered: Jun. 26th, 2017   ·   location: Somewhere
id 8580812

Phoenix1 ( member #38928) posted at 5:51 AM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

I will just caution about a romantic relationship with a subordinate - you're playing with fire. It is not uncommon for disastrous results if the relationship goes south. Often sexual harassment charges come into play, or hostile work environment allegations.

Be very careful.

fBS - Me
Xhole - Multiple LTAs/2 OCs over 20+yrs
Adult Kids
Happily divorced!

You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending. ~C.S. Lewis~

posts: 9059   ·   registered: Apr. 9th, 2013   ·   location: Land of Indifference
id 8580813

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 2:20 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Phoenix1,

We were dating before she started working for me so nothing started at work. We also have boundaries at work. When she’s at work she’s an employee, which means no inappropriate touching or conversation. We’re so sweaty and gross at work that’s not too hard.

No kids

id 8580879

Catwoman ( member #1330) posted at 3:01 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Seriously, people who treat others like this generally have issues. I would take heed.

And I wouldn't be dating someone who worked for me. It's bad enough when you are co-workers, but supervisor/subordinate is a different kettle of fish. And don't think your crew doesn't know, because they do.

My advice? Don't do it where you eat.

Cat

FBS: Married 20 years, 2 daughters 27 and 24. Divorced by the grace of GOD.
D-Days: 2/23/93; 10/11/97; 3/5/03
Ex & OW Broke up 12-10
"An erection does not count as personal growth."

posts: 33182   ·   registered: Apr. 5th, 2003   ·   location: Ohio
id 8580889

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 4:02 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

This is not a one time behavior. Give it time. Sit back and watch. It will happen again.

She just as easily could have asked him to stop kicking her seat. You make a choice to go nuclear ☢️ on someone like that.

And the slurping thing? It’s her issue and she needs to learn appropriate behavior for things that upset her.

Loose cannon IMO

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8580910

TripletMom ( member #12925) posted at 5:08 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

There is a condition where noises like chewing and slurping set a person off. Not sure what the name of the disorder is but my brother-in-law has it. It’s an actual condition. You might want to read up on this and it may explain the over the top reaction. If not this, I would find the behavior very concerning.

id 8580926

baller20 ( member #75093) posted at 5:50 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

There was a guy that had been working with us about 3 weeks. Apparently he was unintentionally kicking her seat in the truck the last few days they worked together. Then on Thursday he was slurping his food or something and long story short she went off on the guy big time. F words and everything. It caught everyone off guard because her reaction was WAY over the top.

There is probably more emotional dysregulation, reactive anger and aggression where this came from. Have you seen emotionally overwhelming-like behavior or impulsivity in other situations?

What is/was her age?

[This message edited by baller20 at 11:50 AM, August 30th (Sunday)]

"Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaxdFDAGik

id 8580945

baller20 ( member #75093) posted at 5:55 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

How much do you know about her past relationships, friendships and family?

Take care

id 8580949

baller20 ( member #75093) posted at 6:06 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

This is not a one time behavior. Give it time. Sit back and watch. It will happen again.

+1

I agree with The1stWife.

id 8580952

Phantasmagoria ( member #49567) posted at 6:37 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

+2

You’ve described a red flag I ignored some 30+ years ago when my then future wife (ultimately WW) went ballistic on an ex-boyfriend over the phone.

It took around 27 years for me to eventually become the target of that abusive behaviour. She now does it to our kids. It’s a huge sign of emotional immaturity and an inability to control emotions. No way I would ever enter a relationship again with someone who behaves in that way!

id 8580957

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 6:56 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

There is a condition where noises like chewing and slurping set a person off.

She has told me before that she has something like this. Certain sounds make her go crazy. She has to leave the situation and get away from the sound. Chewing, slurping, and burping are some of those sounds.

Have you seen emotionally overwhelming-like behavior or impulsivity in other situations?

What is/was her age?

She’s 41. She can get extremely anxious to the point of panic attacks in a crowded store. She says it’s more the noises of all the people that causes it. I’ve seen her leave her cart in the middle of the store and run out because she couldn’t take it anymore.

No kids

id 8580961

Buster123 ( member #65551) posted at 7:11 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Sounds like she could go ballistic at any time, you haven't been with her that long, I would definitely proceed with caution, If you were thinking about proposing put that on hold for at least a couple of years, If you decide to get married, insist on an iron clad prenup just in case.

id 8580965

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 7:36 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

M is a ways off for us. I’ve already told her I wanted a prenup to protect my business. She’s a business owner too so she wants one to protect hers as well.

It’s hard for me to say “she could blow up at any time” when this is the first time she’s lost her temper in the year I’ve known her. Admittedly this blow up was pretty bad but I feel like this is more a case of, time will tell, if this is how she is or if that was just a bad moment.

No kids

id 8580978

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 8:01 PM on Sunday, August 30th, 2020

Has she seen someone to see if this is some form of anxiety? Panic attacks in the store, going off on a coworker (without first addressing his behavior, it sounds like).... It may be something chemical and can be addressed, through CBT or other means perhaps including medication.

Remember that she is representing your business and you and your business’ reputation.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8580985

Myname (original poster member #23138) posted at 12:53 AM on Monday, August 31st, 2020

There is a condition where noises like chewing and slurping set a person off. Not sure what the name of the disorder is but my brother-in-law has it. It’s an actual condition. You might want to read up on this and it may explain the over the top reaction. If not this, I would find the behavior very concerning.

Took your advice and did a little research. It's called Misophonia. Here's a little bit of what I found:

Misophonia is a disorder in which certain sounds trigger emotional or physiological responses that some might perceive as unreasonable given the circumstance.

Individuals with misophonia often report they are triggered by oral sounds -- the noise someone makes when they eat, breathe, or even chew.

If you have a mild reaction, you might feel:

Anxious

Uncomfortable

The urge to flee

Disgust

If your response is more severe, the sound in question might cause:

Rage

Anger

Hatred

Panic

Fear

Emotional distress

This sounds so much like her. I even said earlier in this post that she has run out of a grocery store or had a panic attack more than once because of sounds.

There is some talk therapy for this. Not sure how successful it can be. I think she and I will have to talk about this some. I'm not even sure she knows that this is an actual thing.

No kids

id 8581062

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 1:40 AM on Monday, August 31st, 2020

Let’s say she has a condition as described and she has extreme reactions to sounds.

She needs to learn how to handle it. Period.

That doesn’t explain her rage about her seat being kicked. It’s annoying and as I said, she could have easily said “hey joe, you may not realize it but you are kicking my seat”.

This may be the first time this has happened in a year that you are dating. That’s good. I still would be very careful b/c you don’t know if it’s happened every week when you are not around and she just doesn’t tell (as an example).

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8581073
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy